Sunday, March 10, 2013

Jupiter Opposed to Sun

It's probably about a week since I threw everything that was on the floor of the pantry-cum glory hole on to the kitchen floor and started sorting through it all. Most of it is still where it got thrown, but I've been slowly going through the contents of the cupboards, throwing out tons of it, sorting through the rest, and trying to figure out how I can best utilize the roughly five by nine foot space.

One thing I'd like to be able to do in a bit of it is hang coats and store shoes. It's right off the kitchen as you come in from the back patio, and as you walk in there's already a row of pegs on the short wall to your left that one set of tenants put up for me one winter, but right underneath the pegs has always been this little cabinet about eighteen inches wide, fourteen inches deep and just high enough that you can't hang even a shirt on the pegs without it draping on the top. Add to that that I store the toaster oven on top of the cabinet because I rarely use it and it's so ugly I don't want it out on the counter, and add to that that for reasons unknown even to myself I once had a handyman put up a shelf about twelve inches under the pegs and you're lucky if you can even hang a hat on them without it touching the shelf.

Before I put myself to sleep with this less than sparkling back story  I seem to have found necessary to include, let me just say that as Jupiter opposed the sun exactly I had taken the little cabinet and the toaster oven out of the pantry, discovered that the rubber skirting board had never been attached properly to the wall, scraped three large fossilized cockroaches from the inside of the skirting board, mixed up some noxious epoxy compound left behind by other tenants, smeared some of the resulting glue on the wall and some of it on the inside of the skirting board and was sitting on the floor with my feet up against the rubber pushing as hard as I could, wishing I had not left the instructions on the kitchen counter as I hadn't read them properly.


No comments:

Post a Comment