Sunday, June 1, 2014

Sun Square Mars Part I

So of course this is the day I decide to do something with the slump blocks (!) given to me I think three years ago and also to attempt to move the compost heap, definitely something I wouldn't try without energy (idiocy?)  beamings from above.

The compost heap has been a mistake from the start. Rather than spend $200 on one of those new-fangled drums on legs things which I know from word of mouth work very well and are simple to operate, I decided it made much more sense to spend - don't remember - $25? - on a piece of black rubber with holes in it and four plastic stakes that turn it into an unwieldly free-standing bin that you throw all your scraps into, so that the compost, such as it is, forms at the bottom and you have no access to it because you keep throwing stuff in on top and the only way to get at what's on the bottom is by dismantling the whole thing and having a great big mess of eggshells, avocado skins, grape stems, orange peel and whatever other remnants of your diet that make compost scattered over an area three times the size of the bottom of the bin and then having to somehow dig out what has actually turned into compost and then reassemble the bin and put all the stuff that hasn't back in.

Disclaimer: if I had done it properly this would  not have been the case. I know I didn't keep it wet enough. I know I should have added more topsoil than I did. I should have dug around in there more often and mixed it all up. I should have put in fertilizer to help it along. All of that would have helped, as would reading the FM, but I didn't and the result was what I was faced with yesterday, and as this is turning into one of the longer posts ever made I think I'll do it in installments.

No comments:

Post a Comment