Saturday, December 3, 2016

Sun Opposed to Uranus

So a friend asks me to hook up a new (old) printer and that takes about three minutes as we establish quickly that the printer isn't Mac-compatible.

Onward and upward to searching online for the $21 printer friend has found on Amazon but not bookmarked. Suddenly - no Internet access and we enter the dreaded loop of "please restart your device and continue when it has finished restarting."

Fifteen minutes of this and I realize I can't leave friend with no Internet access - horrors! - and take a deep breath and realize I have to call CenturyLink. This is, shall we say, an older household and a tethered phone has to be brought from another room and plugged in so I can talk to CenturyLink and be able to see the monitor at the same time.

All things considered, we get to a tech quite quickly (only about five minutes of me repeating "Agent, Agent" while being taken through an automated menu) and he tells me to take out the black wire from the modem - done - and then to take out the green DSL wire.

"There is no green DSL wire," I say.
"There must be," he says. "It's a DSL connection."
"There isn't," I say. "There's a yellow ethernet cable."
We repeat the above a couple of times before establishing my friend has had a DSL Internet connection for the four months she has been with CenturyLink without a DSL Internet connection, all working perfectly until Miss Sun-Opposed-to-Uranus made an appearance.

There's more to this, but I stopped writing about six lines ago yesterday and just picked it up this morning, Saturday. O for the discipline to write!

No comments:

Post a Comment